Sunday, December 9, 2007

Everyones a CRITIC

Siminoe is in pieces after a negative comment about ECHO POOL.
Well the old saying goes, "Everyone's a critic." I knew while writing ECHO POOL that this book was a bit personal and was a very introspective project. I also purposefully used a literary style in the development of the narrative, which is not exactly popular in the new millennium. So who would have guessed Bangkok Book House would want to publish it. In the end I think it was a good situation for both of us. I have written something different than their usual novels about Sukamvit, sex trade, Russian Mobsters, and burn out SEXPats, and lets face it these are not the only stories to be told in Thailand. But readers who are expecting this from my novel, just because it was published by Bangkok Book House will not get that kind fo thrill from my work.

I bring this up because, since the books release about 3 months ago, I've been really surprised at how positive the feedback has been about the book. People seem to find so much of themselves in the book, especially people from small towns and who have lived in the Kingdom of Thailand for a while.
BUT, of course there will be those who don't like it. So I finally got a negative review of the book and I must say for a few minutes I was really disappointed and felt completely rejected. It is hard to feel, especially perhaps after all the positive strokes and well dones, to feel someone really didn't enjoy the novel.
Anyway, this criticism was written on a chat service called Asia Fiction, which was created to help promote Asian writers like myself. I would really like it if, and yes even if you didn't like the book, people could go onto this site and leave their impressions of my book.
Please click on the title above and visit the site. You will see the negative criticism and you can respond to it. Avenge me! Avenge me! Avenge me!