Monday, January 14, 2008

THOSE WHO HEAR


It has been a very long weekend. I singed a contract with Bangkok Book House to publish THOSE WHO HEAR back in late October. We are currently in the editing process. This novel is nothing like ECHO POOL, for better or worse. This piece is a bit of fantasy written in a YA style. I still believe that adults may enjoy this, but in truth it is written with the teenager in mind. This book is the first in a series called Journeys of the Astropaths that I have been developing. I am nervous beyond anything I have ever felt in my writing before, because with Echo Pool I knew what it was -- a literary effort, a book for my father, a book for those who have lost someone in their life to cancer, a book for visitors of Thailand. But fantasy? This is really a far cry from my normal style of writing.

I am also excited! If this book could develop a following, I have outlines for 5 additional books in the series. I am midway through writing the second book and the plan is for Bangkok Book House to publish the second book by August or September. Yikes more work!

So for the past three days I have done nothing but read the comments and proofing marks of the publisher's editor. I am exhausted, still shaking from all the coffee: Mochas, Cappuccinos, Americanas, and even a few street ice coffees. But I think I have completed the final draft and should be able to get it back to the publisher today or tomorrow.

How many times can I read through this manuscript? Well it's short really, 279 pages, and I just keep going through it for one last look and I usually find one more mistake or unclear line. It does get a bit maddening after a while.

I think I'll put up a few pages of this new story once we have a publishing date.